Oakdean Grange (George Edward Hubb) - Apprenticeship in Stockperson (Agriculture) Level 2 – Standard (Ref: VAC001588044)
Salary: £3.90 per hourClosing Date: 29 Oct 2019Hours: 5 days a week (including Saturday) 30 hours per week
Business: _Oakdene Grange
Oakdene Grange Farm in Longframlington, Morpeth is home to a purpose-built cutting shop, where his latest venture – the ‘box of lamb’ – is butchered. Rather than selling the lamb through farmers’ markets or shops, customers buy it straight from the farm gate. Oakdene Grange Farm is a 400-acre full-time mixed farm, which produces suckler cows, lamb and arable
Oakdene Grange Farm is a 400 -acre full-time mixed farm with a suckler heard and ewe flock with small arable acres.
Training to be provided: Stockperson Level 2 Standard, Functional skills if required. Work place assessments and College attendance.
Vacancy full description:
- General farm work
- Checking stock
- Ewe and Ram husbandry
- Assist in shearing and fleece wrapping
- Lambing; rearing and hand feeding as necessary
- Castration and ringing lambs,
- feeding ewes and lambs and bedding when housed
- Cow, heifer and steer husbandry
- Recognising and treating cattle illnesses
- Assist in clipping for sale
- Feeding; bedding
- Calving; rearing and hand feeding as necessary
- Arable work
- Must enjoy working with animals
- Good timekeeping skills
- Able to work as part of a team
- Able to undertake heavy physical work and work in all weathers
- Able to work under pressure and on own initiative
- Have previous experience working on a farm but be advantageous but not essential
Good attention to detail
- Professional approach
- Must have the ability to adapt to changes in working practices.
- Initiative Good organisational and time management skills
- Team Player
Qualifications required: GCSE Grade A-C in Maths and English (or equivalent). Functional skills will be undertaken at College by applicants without this qualification.
Career or training progression within the company
- Working in all weathers.
- Because of the location of the farm it would be advantageous if you were able to drive and have your own transport.
- You will also be required to attend our Kirkley Hall Campus in Ponteland one day a week.
- Longer working hours will be required at busier times of year i.e. Lambing/Silage/Harvest time.
- A DBS will be required.
- You will be required to do an initial assessment and diagnostic in Maths, English and ICT before you start your apprenticeship.