Apprentice Receptionist Customer Services Practitioner Level 2 (Ref: 001434821)
Salary: £3.70 p.hr Closing Date: 12 Feb 2019Hours: 30-37 hours during the hours of 8.30am – 6.00pm, Monday to Friday
Belford Medical Practice
Belford Medical Practice is a place where the team work together to provide the highest quality healthcare at the same time meeting ever changing needs of its patients and the community.
We are a 3 partner 1 Salaried teaching/dispensing practice, which is involved in the training of qualified doctors who wish to gain experience in General Practice. We also have final year medical students as part of their undergraduate training, visiting the practice. We are a research Practice. We also have a Nurse Practitioner working Monday and Thursdays.
Our main surgery is located at Belford, and we operate a branch surgery at Seahouses Health Centre.
The main duties within this role are to receive, assist and direct patients in accessing the appropriate service or healthcare professional in a courteous, efficient and effective way.
Vacancy full description: Provide general assistance to the practice team and project a positive and friendly image to patients and other visitors, either in person or via the telephone.
- Ensure an effective and efficient reception service is provided to patients and any other visitors to the practice
- Deal with all general enquiries, explain procedures and make new and follow-up appointments.
- Ensure that patients with no prior appointment but who need urgent consultation are seen in a logical and non-disruptive manner.
- Explain practice arrangements and formal requirements to new patients and those seeking temporary cover, and ensure procedures are completed.
- Receive and make telephone calls as required. Divert calls and take messages, ensuring accuracy of detail and prompt appropriate delivery.
- Enter requests for home visits onto the clinical system, ensuring to carefully record all relevant details and referring to doctor where necessary.
- Action repeat prescription requests and ensure that they are ready for collection by the patient within 2 working days.
- Advise patients of relevant charges for private (non-General Medical Services) services, accept payment and issue receipts for same.
- Enter patient information on to the computer as required.
- Patient notes and correspondence:
- Retrieve and re-file records as required, ensuring strict alphabetical order is adhered to
- Ensure correspondence, reports, results etc. are filed promptly and in the correct records, ensuring that all recent correspondence is available when patients are seen.
- Ensure records are kept in good repair, with all necessary information on the outside cover clearly visible.
- Make and serve refreshments, ensure the kitchen is kept clean and tidy and air and tidy the waiting room in turn with other staff.
- Ensure that all new patients are registered onto the computer system promptly and accurately
- Undertake any other additional duties appropriate to the post as requested by the partners or the practice manager.
- In the course of seeking treatment, patients entrust us with, or allow us to gather, sensitive information in relation to their health and other matters. They do so in confidence and have the right to expect that staff will respect their privacy and act appropriately
- In the performance of the duties outlined in this job description, the post-holder may have access to confidential information relating to patients and their carers, practice staff and other healthcare workers. They may also have access to information relating to the practice as a business organisation. All such information from any source is to be regarded as strictly confidential
- Information relating to patients, carers, colleagues, other healthcare workers or the business of the practice may only be divulged to authorised persons in accordance with the practice policies and procedures relating to confidentiality and the protection of personal and sensitive data
Health & safety:
The post-holder will assist in promoting and maintaining their own and others’ health, safety and security as defined in the practice health & safety policy, the practice health & safety manual, and the practice infection control policy and published procedures. This will include:
- Using personal security systems within the workplace according to practice guidelines
- Identifying the risks involved in work activities and undertaking such activities in a way that manages those risks
- Making effective use of training to update knowledge and skills
- Using appropriate infection control procedures, maintaining work areas in a tidy and safe way and free from hazards
- Actively reporting of health and safety hazards and infection hazards immediately when recognised
- Keeping own work areas and general/patient areas clean, assisting in the maintenance of general standards of cleanliness consistent with the scope of the job holder’s role
- Undertaking periodic infection control training (minimum annually)
- Reporting potential risks identified
Equality and diversity:
The post-holder will support the equality, diversity and rights of patients, carers and colleagues, to include:
- Acting in a way that recognises the importance of people’s rights, interpreting them in a way that is consistent with practice procedures and policies, and current legislation
- Respecting the privacy, dignity, needs and beliefs of patients, carers and colleagues
- Behaving in a manner that is welcoming to and of the individual, is non-judgmental and respects their circumstances, feelings priorities and rights.
The post-holder should recognize the importance of effective communication within the team and will strive to:
- Communicate effectively with other team members
- Communicate effectively with patients and carers
- Recognize people’s needs for alternative methods of communication and respond accordingly
Training to be provided: Level 2 Customer Service Practitioner
Qualifications required: GCSE Grade A-C in Maths and English (or equivalent) preferred
- Good ability in the use of IT systems
- Ability to work well independently and as part of a larger team
- Flexibility and willingness to work outside office hours if required
- Very good interpersonal skills
- Good organisational skills
- Discreet and adhering to Data Protection and Confidentiality policies and procedures
Personal qualities: Very smart and presentable appearance at all times. Polite and professional on one-to-one basis with public and visitors. Calm, patient, well-mannered and courteous at all times. Common sense approach to problems, not afraid to ask for assistance when required
Reality check: You will be in a working medical practice environment with members of staff and the general public on a daily basis. You must understand the principles of discretion, data protection, safeguarding and confidentiality at all times, inside and outside of working hours.
Important Information: Belford Medical Practice is located in Belford which is on the main public transport route however, dependent on your home location, please ensure you can travel to the Practice for the required times and days.
This opportunity is open to all ages 16+ years. You may be entitled to additional support benefits if aged 25+ and dependant on your own personal circumstances.
To apply for this vacancy, please click on the link below: