Kirkley Hall Student Accommodation at Northumberland College

Student AccommodationHalls of Residence

Our Kirkley Hall Campus has 90 rooms available for students to stay on campus.

Halls of Residence Accommodation

Our Kirkley Hall Campus has 90 rooms available for students to stay on campus.

The halls of residence are managed by a dedicated team who ensure the safety of students at all times.

There is always at least one member of Halls staff on duty 24 hours a day so students, parents/guardians/careers can get in touch and discuss any concerns or any residence issues.

The Kirkley Hall Campus has a lot to keep the residential student busy. Apart from having various assignments to complete for your chosen course, there is The Watering Hole with internet access and drop-in computers for social use and where you can also relax and play pool and darts or just chill with your new friends and watch TV on the big screen. The area also has a PlayStation 3 and hosts regular quiz and film nights.

In the spring and summer months, the campus has some great forest walks and for those who want to keep fit, there is the gym and sports hall open most evenings throughout the year.

The Halls of Residence has an extensive activity programme. This includes sessions to improve life skills such as cooking, domestic duties (laundry, making bed etc) and also weekly sessions which aim to raise awareness in a very broad range of subjects from alcohol and drug abuse to bullying, relationships and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.

Each room is single occupancy and has internet access. Visit our Media Gallery to have look around the Halls and Student Bar. 


Frequently asked questions

When do I have access to my room?
The room will be yours for the full academic year however students are not permitted to stay during holidays.

There may be times when you will be required to completely empty your room for these periods but notice will be given and we will allocate where possible a room to store everything in.

16-18 year old students can't stay weekends and must return home.

Can I request a specific room?
We will accept requests for specific rooms however we are unable to guarantee this as rooms are allocated on a first come first served basis.

Can I pay my deposit when I arrive?
All paperwork must be completed prior to keys being released.  This includes the £250 bond.

Do I need to take out insurance?
This is your choice however we do recommend that you cover any expensive items you are bringing with you such as a laptop.

Endsleigh Insurance specialise in student insurance.

What happens if I break the rules?
It really depends on what you do, we follow the College disciplinary procedure and you can enter this at any stage from verbal warning to immediate suspension.

We reserve the right to ask to you leave halls at anytime.

Can I have guests?
Students in the over 18 houses are permitted to have guests but these must be booked in advance.  There is an overnight fee of £10pp which also must be paid in advance.

Unfortunately we are unable to allow the 16-18 year old students to have guests at this time.

Am I allowed pets?
Sorry but we are unable to allow pets in to any of the accommodation.

What happens if I leave my course?
If you leave you must clear your room and return your keys immediately.  Rent will continue to be charged for the full month until keys are handed in.

What happens if I fail to pay my rent?
As rent is due on the 1st of each month, if this fails to come in to our account we will contact you to discuss why, we would then expect an immediate payment to bring your account back up to date.

If rent is still not paid we will serve you notice to end your tenancy with us.

If you fall in to financial difficulty please come and speak to us so this situation can be avoided.

What happens if College property is damaged?
You are responsible for your own bedroom so any damages that occur will be deducted from your bond or will be invoiced to you.

If damage occurs in the communal areas the cost of repair will be split across students in that area unless the person who caused the damage came forward.

Who can enter my room?
Ultimately you are the only person that should be going in your room however there will be exceptions to this.

Accommodation staff are able to enter your room if they need to carry routine inspections or to ensure that you are safe.

College maintenance may also need access to carry out repairs.

All College staff will knock on your door and announce themselves before entering. 

You have the right to ask them to wait 5 minutes or ask to meet them at an office.  There will be exceptions to this if we have suspicions you are breaking the rules.

Are staff available all the time?
Accommodation staff are on duty 24 hours a day from 5pm Sunday evening through to 5pm Friday evening.

The accommodation is not staffed over a weekend.

In emergency situations the student wardens can contact the accommodation staff and there are also members of staff who live onsite.

To find our more about the Kirkley Campus Halls of residence please visit the dedicated Kirkley Campus website.

Online Now
Prospectus Download
Prospectus Download
Prospectus Download
Latest Events