On completion of this apprenticeship, advanced carpentry and joinery workers will be able to carry out all the activities undertaken by a carpenter and joiner, but also be able to:
- Work safely and pro-actively in the application of good health and safety practice in their work area, to protect self and others.
- Understand the programme and work schedule for their work area and plan their work accordingly.
- Develop and maintain good working relationships with managers, supervisors and work colleagues.
- Determine the best way of carrying out the work and ensure this is communicated clearly to colleagues.
- Interpret technical specifications and ensure compliance with legislation/guidance relevant to the work being done.
- Select the required quantity and quality of resources required for carrying out complex and non-standard work, including timber, tools and fixings.
- Be prepared to take a lead when working in a team, especially when complex or non-standard work is involved.
On completion of this apprenticeship, advanced carpentry and joinery workers will have the same knowledge as a carpenter and joiner, but also be able to:
- Understand, in more detail, the key aspects of health, safety and welfare good practice and how to apply these to create a safe and healthy working environment.
- Understand how to plan and carry out work effectively, taking into account complex environmental and task related challenges.
- Understand how to develop and maintain excellent working relationships with others.
- Understand how to access data needed to plan and execute work tasks accurately, including an understanding of Building Information Modelling (BIM.) and its impact on construction projects.
- Understand their broader responsibilities under current legislation and guidance in undertaking construction work.
- Understand the importance of team working and being prepared to take a lead.