You will need to successfully complete year 1 modules (see Level 3 Advanced Technical Certificate in Equine management) Plus Theory exam, Biological systems of the horse exam, synoptic assessment and contribute to managing an equine event.. To gain the qualification you also need to complete 2 optional units.
Mandatory units include year 1 module plus;
- Biological systems of the horse
- Prepare horse for presentation
- Working and training horses from the ground
- Equine feeding and nutrition
- The principles of equitation
- Contribute to managing an event
Optional units include
- Exercising horses
- Riding horses on the flat
- Riding horses over fences
- Introduction to Equestrian coaching
- Business management
The work experience module will provide you with first-hand experience of working in a competition yard, racing school, riding school or other related equine business. To prepare you for work experience you will undertake practical duties on the college yard at Kirkley, this will be organised on a rota basis. Work experience when possible will be organised around your future career choices, or if still undecided will offer an opportunity to sample a variety of working environments which should help with your progression into employment or further equine training. For all modules you will study both practical and theoretical elements, learning how to do things and why you need to do and know certain things.